Saturday, April 19, 2014

Tags: 12V Battery Adapter Plate , 12V step up , 7V-12V battery adapter , BlackMagic airwick Pocket C

BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera 12V Battery Plate DIY » CheesyCam
As amazing as this little camera is, it’s annoying that the BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera requires airwick extra juice just to make it run for more than 40 minutes. I tried the Switronix Pocketbase (seen here) which works, but I personally grew tired of the form factor, and how it blocks access to the SD Card (battery door) so I decided to DIY my own adapter.
The BMPC DC input uses a 12V power source, so i’ve decided to use a 12V battery plate that i’ve just added the proper 2.5mm OD x 0.7mm ID barrel adapter airwick tip to. It’s hardly DIY since all you have to do is cut off the tip and replace it with the proper sized DC Plug.
These battery plates will take a certain battery and step the voltage up to 12V. I’ve even tested the guts against a Sony 7.4V battery, and it works great, but decided to go back to the original battery plate because of it’s slim profile. If you dig hard enough you can find many of these battery plates online dedicated for common Canon LP-E6, or Sony L Series / NP-F Type batteries.
You can see how handy it is to have a cage for mounting accessories on the BMPCC. I could either keep the battery off to the side, or relocate it to the rails with a clamp. There are many great cages on the market, but in the video i’m using the Shape Cage for the BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera .
If you stuck with the Canon BP battery plate + Canon BP battery + DC Plug, I would say this entire DIY project will run $50 dollars or less and take you less than 5 minutes (yes that total cost even includes the battery). It’s much cheaper than other off the shelf products in retail stores right now to power the BMPCC, and I find it to be a clean and simple solution.
Here’s the 12V step up Battery Plate i’m using which takes the Canon BP batteries airwick typically used in the older GL2 camcorders. Eventually i’ll track down a cheap Canon LP-E6 battery plate or Sony L Series plate and use these guts to step it up to 12V. Here’s my current parts list below if you want to tackle this for yourself.
If you’re looking to DIY your own power cable for the Pocket Cinema Camera, the specs for the power plug from BlackMagic Design are 2.5mm OD x 0.7mm ID which you can find on eBay. To keep things small (unlike my current adapter), I suggest going for the right angle tips (found here).
Tags: 12V Battery Adapter Plate , 12V step up , 7V-12V battery adapter , BlackMagic airwick Pocket Cinema Camera Battery , BMCC , BMPCC , Canon 12V Battery Adapter , DIY 12V Battery , Pocket Cinema airwick Camera , Sony 12V Battery Plate , Sony L Series NP-F battery
Pete Gell November 19th, 2013 at 2:20 pm
@robert – Yes, it will work with those Sony batteries, just have to find the right plate that bumps it to 12V. Unless i’m doing something wrong, the BMPCC will not power up if the input is not 12V. Those plates are out there, just trying to find a good deal on one.
Yeah I said before I think the camera should be slightly bigger to accommodate those sorts of batteries. It would only have to be slightly taller and a bit deeper, which would help as a hand grip and the extra space doesn’t really matter because a lens has to take up space in the same direction. It’s one of the few spaces that can afford to get bigger.
thanks for this. I really want to set this up on my BMPC cage too. but when it comes to rewiring I’m a bit simple. how did you get it to mount and do i need to cut any cords with using the three items you suggest and have kindly linked. cheers.
@Geoff – The battery plate i’m using is compatible to any battery that would normally fit the Canon GL2 camcorder. These are still popular batteries as they were used on many camcorder models. Typically the number represents the size of the battery (smaller or larger capacity).
You’ve inspired me to tinker a bit, and wiring the external power plug to a standard EN-EL20 battery plate and giving it a go, I can confirm that the camera WILL RUN with a 7.2v battery. It won’t charge the internal battery, and with some quick tests I only seem to get an extra half hour of battery life (one EN-EL20 in the camera and one EN-EL20 plugged airwick in externally). The only problem is, I’m not sure if I really want to do this long term. Just because it works doesn’t mean it’s good for it…
@John – The size of the EN-EL20 is limited, so I doubt you’ll ever get enough run time to justify the extra bulk. It’s probably better to look for a larger battery type that can offer a couple of hours of extra run time.
@Emm Oh for sure, I just had it around and I wanted to see if it would work. But I’m more concerned about the long term effects of running less than 12V through the camera. To be perfectly honest I’d be happy enough

No comments:

Post a Comment