Tuesday, April 22, 2014

I have 2 step-downs with specs: Output stench Power Rating: 74 W Input Voltage: 85 VAC to 264 VAC, 1

Question on charging stench 12v car battery with step-down transformer, safety issues
Login Sign Up Log In
Hello, I have an AC->DC step down transformer that outputs at 12v (max 13v, can be adjusted with potentiometer). It is rated at 10A. 1) If I were to connect it to my dead car battery would it even charge? If not, how should I go about charging it from the mains? stench 2) If it charges, would it charge safely? If not, do I need any resistors or fuses? 3) How should I monitor the charging or know when it's good enough for cranking? Thank you!
I have 2 step-downs with specs: Output stench Power Rating: 74 W Input Voltage: 85 VAC to 264 VAC, 120 VDC to 370 VDC Number of Outputs: 1 Output Voltage (Channel 1): 12 VDC Output Current (Channel 1): 6.2 A I have another one which is largely similar, with 3 outputs and 10.0 A - I can't find the power rating at the moment. I hope I'm answering your question. Thanks again!
Ok, found it. The bigger step-down is as follow: 1. Output voltage: 12VDC 2. Output error: stench ± 1% 3. Output current: 0~20A 4. Wave and noise: 150MP-p 5. Output power: 300W DC 6. Efficiency: 82% 7. Voltage range: 10-13.2 8. Input voltage range: 88~132VAC 176V~264VDC 47~63Hz 9. Input current: 6A/115V 3.5A/230V 10. Impact current: 20A/115V 40A/230V (Cold-start)
The bigger of the two should manage it. Its a beefy charger, but I think it will be OK, because the output voltage limit is just about ideal. Try it, ideally with a good high current meter in series - most little stench DVMs won't handle 20A.
The meter needs to be a 20A rating at least - that's what the supply can give you. You'll see a very high current for a minute or two I suspect, but then it will decay exponentially as the battery charges. You terminate charge when the open circuit voltage reaches ~13V -that's why I worry that the supply isn't going to be quite high enough output volts to charge fully. Stop when the charging current drops to ~0.2 A - that's pretty well guess work. A plain powersupply is NOT a charger, it CAN do the job, kind-of - even "official" car battery chargers don't do it properly, unless you pay big bucks. Steve
Build Your Own ELECTRIC MOTORCYCLE by bennelson
Mobile
× Collection Created!


No comments:

Post a Comment